No, each conference tournament winner will receive an automatic bid to the tournament. The rest of the 64 team slots are filled with at-large bids. In Division III, there are 32 automatic bids and 32 at-large bids. In Division II, there are 23 automatic bids and 41 at-large bids. In Division I, there are 27 automatic bids and 37 at-large bids.
Articles in this section
- How frequently are National Tournament games played?
- Are all postseason games played at a neutral site?
- If my school doesn't win our conference tournament, how will we know if we receive a bid to a postseason tournament?
- Do all teams play in the National Tournament?
- If we don't get a bid to the National Tournament, will there be a secondary (NIT) type of tournament?
- How are the at-large bids for the National Tournament determined? What about the seeding?
- Why is there such a big discrepancy between my RPI and my seed in the national tournament?